Comm issues

This is my blog site I'll be using for my Mass Comm & Society class as well as my Editing/Design class. I will be posting my thoughts on topics that I feel need noted upon that arise in class.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Goodbye digital fear

Magazines have bounced back after overcoming their fear of digital media. Jack Klinger, president-CEO of Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S. and chairman of Magazine Publishers of America, made an impressive speech this morning by boldy claiming magazines will be making an incline and no longer a decline.

"We are no longer threatened by digital media," said Kliger. "We are figuring out how to use it to our advantage."

"I'm not ready to end up my career watching our industry get marginalized and fade away. I'd rather be an agent of change than efficiently manage our decline. And I'd rather pave the way so the next generation of editors and publishers can have long and rewarding careers."

Klinger makes a very relevant point by stating just because a company cancels an edition of a magazine doesn't mean the company as a whole is throwing in the towel. This should encourage other companies to see change as a push for improvement and not for detriment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home