Comm issues

This is my blog site I'll be using for my Mass Comm & Society class as well as my Editing/Design class. I will be posting my thoughts on topics that I feel need noted upon that arise in class.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Aye or nay?

What consideration goes into categorizing high school plays as appropriate or unappropriate? Protests have surged at Valley High School in Des Moines over the soon to be performed play "The Laramie Project". On the other hand, a Cedar Rapids high school has yet to hear a complaint about the same play production.

The play is a true story happening in 1998. A student at the University of Wyoming was taken to the countryside, tied up, and left to die. Another probable issue community members could be wrestling over is the fact that the victim in the story was gay.

The moral of the story was very well summed up by Kennedy drama director, Phyllis Staplin.
"The message of the play will be very strong: When there is not tolerance and acceptance, a tragedy ensues," Staplin said.
What does the ending of this play tell viewers about ideology? I believe that it presents the issue of an on-going struggle that gays intercept on a daily basis in their community. Unfortunately, they (gays) are viewed as a disruption to society if they make their sexual preference known.

Some viewers would say let gays do their thing, while others would take the view of gay actions to be wrong, immoral and they deserve to die as the young man does in "The Laramie Project".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home