Comm issues

This is my blog site I'll be using for my Mass Comm & Society class as well as my Editing/Design class. I will be posting my thoughts on topics that I feel need noted upon that arise in class.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Deal or no deal?

After airing a touchy interview with former President Bill Clinton on Fox News, YouTube quickly snatched up clips to place on the internet. This interview immediately sparked lots of conversations. Fox News then decided to throw down the 'copyright' card and proceeded to shut down all distributing channels. One major concern -- YouTube will steal the show's viewership.
Do you see unauthorized clips on webites like YouTube as a good way to promote a show or a network, or is it a threat to the very business model of television, still based on selling 30-second advertising spots?
There are well-rounded arguments to both sides. Fox News has no control over what's being produced on YouTube or what's being discussed about their own material. A reason to be pro-YouTube is it could prove to be good publicity for the news network.

Cross your fingers YouTube doesn't become the next Napster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home