Comm issues

This is my blog site I'll be using for my Mass Comm & Society class as well as my Editing/Design class. I will be posting my thoughts on topics that I feel need noted upon that arise in class.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Quick! Save the paper!

The U.K. daily newspaper, The Independent, may be onto something that will give its paper additional life. The answer is utilizing celebrities in the production of their newspaper. Extra! Extra! Jessica Simpson edits Washington Post! Justin Timberlake writes article concerning issues of medical science! Would you really pick up this paper to read the actual content? Or would it serve as just another sleezy form of entertainment?

This whole kick of using celebrities to bring in extra revenue can be easily related to CBS's new anchor, Katie Couric. Viewership soared through the roof on her debut, but a few runnings later reality was slammed back into their faces as the numbers seemed to drop through the floor.

I think celebrities might be a unique spin on the paper to pick up a few more readers every once in a while, but I wouldn't make it an everyday thing. As we've learned in class, editing a whole paper would be quite the task, especially without proper training! I'm not so sure I'd hand over the reins of my newspaper's reputation to Madonna quite yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home